Maorin's forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maorin's forum

Practicing and studying

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kaneko's story - Love and Marriage chapter 2 continue...

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Maorin

Here is what Fumi Shiraki, a relative, had to say about a conversation she heard between Mr Toda and Kaneko's mother in the president's office at the Soka Gakkai Headquarters:

"When Mr. Toda said, 'Kaneko found herself an incredible guy, didn't she?' Shizuko, Kaneko's mother, responded, 'Dai-chan [the familiar form of Daisaku] tends to be over the top.'

"Mr Toda had a good laugh over this comment, and he repsonded with 'He may seem like a big talker, but just you wait and see...He really is quite a guy!' I did not know exactly what Mr. Toda meant, and Shizuko looked totally amazed."

My mother didnt' say anything special to me upon my marriage. All she told me was "Everything will be all right as long as you practice Buddhism steadfastly and follow President Toda."

How did your husband propose to you?

He simply said, "Put your trust in me and stick with me." As I look back, however, I had been drawn to his humanity and so I had no other thought in mind than to marry him.

What about him attracted you the most?

I liked the fact that my husband respected and praised his mentor highly. To have served such a distinguished teacher as Mr Toda since the age of nineteen was Daisaku's greatest source of pride. He would tell me: "It has nothing to do with money or honor. I have met and have been taught by a great mentor,and I feel like the most fortunate person in the world."

What sort of memorable gifts has your husband given you?

When my husband gave me my wedding ring, he said, "Look, these are diamonds!" Indeed, there were two shiny stones on it. He said, "These symbolize the two of us."
Over the years, however, the "daimonds" started to lose their luster.

Later, we found out that they were made of zircon, a crystalline mineral that looks like daimonds. Its's fond memory.

On his first trip to the US, my husband brought back a small present for me. This was in October 1960. It was a tiny pill case with jewels like emeralds glittering on the lid. As he handed it to me, he told me, "These are real and the case was expensive."

It just so happened that, when i went to the US with him, we found the exact same thing being sold by a vendor at a roadise stall. When I saw it, I exclaimed: "Look! Its's one dollar!"

Daisaku burst out laughing. "I've been caught!" he said

This is the fisrt time my hsband went to US, Japnese travelers to US were limited to taking thirty-five dollars in currency per person per day. Given this restriction, my husband and tose accompanying him did their best to keep teir meal expenditures to a minimum so they could use what funds they had left to encourage local members. This is why I feel that this tiny, one-dollar pill case is a priceless expression of his sincerity.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum