Maorin's forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maorin's forum

Practicing and studying

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kaneko's story - Epilogue

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kaneko's story - Epilogue Empty Kaneko's story - Epilogue Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Maorin

President Ikeda nicknamed their three sons "The big Three."

The oldest, Hiromasa, was born in 1953 and is an SGI vice president. Josei Toda named him, exclaiming with a satisfied smile: "Isnt it a fine name? He could become a man of letters with a name like that."

Iromasa recalled an experiene with his father, who is fond of cerry blossoms:"We were adminring a flurry of falling petals. I turned to my father and said,"A blizzard of flowrs.' He picked up from there and said, 'On my father's shoulders.' Then my mother added, 'On my mother's hair."

Ablizzard of flowers: On my father's shoulders, on my mother's hair" became a memorable verse created by mother, father and child. Third son, was fascinated by astronomy now a trustee of Soka Schools as well as vice president of Soka Gakkai.

Mr Ikeda wrote about back and forth tussles a month mother, father and child in an essay, "Thoughts on my Life - My Three Sons and I,"published by Shodensha in 1976

Speaking of discovery of the self, this occurred to Takahiro, my third son, when he became completely captivated by stargazing in his first year of Junior high school.His interest began about three years earlier, when a close family friend gave my seoncd son a telscope. When Takahiro looked through it and saw the rings of Saturn, he became extremely excited. He insisted that he needed a telescope that was suitable for serious stargazing, so we took him to a specialty store.

When we entered the store, Takahiro immediately pointed out the telescope he wanted. It turned out that it was a powerful one, intended for scientific observation. My wife firmly opposed this choice, saying that he would soon grow tired of this sudden passion, so it would be better to buy one that was more like a toy. The boy wouldn't hear of it and stubbornly clung to his choice, finally sitting down in front of the telsscope and refusing to budge. Caught in the crossfire, I tried in vain to persuade both sides to compromise. If the truth be known, I too had become captevated by the rings of Saturn. So, I persuaded my wife to approve and ultmiately we bought the telescope. I'never forget the amused expression on the sales person's face as he obseved our family decision-making dynamics.

Finally won over by his son's passion for astronomy, Mr Ikeda's reflections on the situation led to further insights: "I felt that having someting to be absorbed in is a good thing, especially for young people, wo are filled with curiosity. When this happens, they often transcend the framework of classroom educaiton and soar to boundless heights. Adults often try to nip these sprouts of curiosity in the bud based on their own limited preconceptions, and tis threatens to warp the development of the child."

The Ikedas' son Shiroisa, the second of the "Big Three," as a member of the Soka University staff, actively devoted himself to the students. He passed away at the young age of twenty-nine.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum