Maorin's forum

Practicing and studying

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kaneko's story - Epilogue

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Kaneko's story - Epilogue on Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:42 pm

Mr and Mrs Ikeda's wedding too place on May 3 1952, at a temple called Kanki-ryo in Nakano Ward in Tokyo. It was a buddhist wedding. The date May 3 has special meaning for the Ikeda family. Their revered teacher, Josei Toda was inaugurated second president of the Soka Gakkai on that day the previous year and so Toda chose May 3 as the day of the couple departure. This he did out of consdieration for Mr Ikeda, his closest disciple. Also, it came right after seven hundredth anniversary of the estbalishment of Nichiren Buddhism. Then, on that same day eight years later, in 1960, Mr Ikeda was inaugurated third president of the organization.

Mr Ikeda wrote about his wedding in his best selling book On Women 1974:

In due time, I got married. We held the wedding on May 3 1952. We had a ceremony and a reception, but we definitely did not extend ourselves beyond our means. It was an extremely simple affair, but our mentor and close friends helped us celebrate. It was a truely heartwarming occasion.

In another essay, Mr Ikeda describes the determination that he and Kaneko felt:

We both shared the same goals and understanding, and we promised each other that we would devote ourselves to the welfare of society and work to benefit people. Our resolve is still the same, even now, and I am sure that it will be the same in the future.

And so, it is not a choice between sacrificing oneself for society or disregarding society in favor of one's happiness. As we put our resolve into practice, we expected to experience happiness.

In our situation, the success or failure of our marriage depended on establishing a new family that would be nurturing environment supporint our work in society. Thus the magnitude of our wedding celberation was completely irrelevant. (The family revolution, Kodansha, 1966)

In his book on Women, Mr Ikeda writes, "My marriage is the treasure of my life." He adds:

The aspect of my life that most concerned my wife was my eating habits. Her main job became restoring me to better health from my weak constitution.
When I married, not only did I get a wife, at the same time I acquired a superb nurse and dietitian. I feel that I have been able to sustain my intense schedule of activities from that time to the present thanks to the efforts and good sense of my wife.

View user profile
Complaints erase good fortune. Grateful prayer builds happiness for all eternity."
Mrs Ikeda explained: "This means tat we must have a positive outlook in everything we do. I have made this a pesonal habit."

Good fortune is created by oneself and must be continually accumulated. If not, when it starts to crumble, it falls like rocks tumbling down a hill. This is why I want, as much as I can in my own way, to advance into the future, all the while accumulating good fortune in the present."

Good fortune of the Ikeda household is based on the merticulous accumulation of good deeds, one by one. What started out as a small blessing has snowballed into many blessings. king queen

View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum